When you have thick, shag carpet, it may be important for you to find a vacuum with enough suction and power to get down deep into the fibers. Small particles often get stuck near the mat where the fibers loop. Large messes are difficult to remove with a weak vacuum. You may find that all the options on our list are enticing when you need a new or better cleaning machine for your home, office, or classroom.
Hoover T-Series – Best Upright Cleaner
With five adjustments, you can easily find one that fits your floors whether you want to clean hardwoods, small pile carpets, or thick shag floors.
The HEPA filter gets rid of over 99 percent of dirt and dust by removing particles as small as 0.03 microns. An included hand tool works with air to dig deep into the fibers to get rid of debris on your stairs and furniture. With four attachments, you may find this vacuum works well to get into all the nooks and crannies.
- Bumper guard to protect furniture and wood trim
- 25-foot self-retracting power cord
- Filter change indicator light
- Eight-foot extension hose
- Dusting brush for window treatments
- Lightweight for easy carrying up and down the stairs
- May overheat and shut off
- Some consumers report problems with warranty coverage
Shark Rotator – Best Vacuum for Reducing Allergens
You may like that the Shark Rotator uses a HEPA filter and a bag seal to keep dust and small particles from escaping the item as you work.
You may like that you can quickly control the sweeper mode with the touch of a button right on the handle. The smaller motorized head operates without taking suction power away from the main sweeper head. The flexible base swivels, making it easy to maneuver the Rotator around large items and under the furniture.
- Detachable canister
- Dirt container holds up to 1.5 quarts of debris
- Upholstery and linen tools
- Miniature power brush for getting rid of pet hair
- LED lights on the head of the sweeper make it easier to see in dark corners, along walls, and under furniture
- 30-foot cord
- Six feet of extension hose
- Brush accumulates hair quickly
- Vacuum may break down long before the warranty is up
Compact C1 Canister – Best Lightweight Vacuum
People who have back problems may appreciate this sweeper is under 15 pounds.
You may find this vacuum helpful for cleaning up large messes since it holds 3.5 liters of debris. The bags for this sweeper are filter bags to prevent dust and other debris from getting back into the air as you work. This cleaning tool might save you time because you do not have to change settings to go from one floor type to another.
- 1,200 watt Miele motor
- Rubber coating on the wheels to protect your hard surfaces
- Sealed motor and filtration system
- Over 29 feet of reach with the wand and extension hose
- High-quality German engineering
- Compact design to save space when storing
- Six power modes for various floor types and carpet heights
- Some consumers are not happy with the suction level of this product
Soniclean Upright – Best Dust Removing Sweeper
The soft bristles on the Soniclean brush are easier on carpet fibers to help reduce ravels and damage. This vacuum is our lightest option on this top five list at just over 10 pounds. The patented EZ brush is quick to glide across thicker carpets and high pile rugs.
- Hospital level HEPA filtration system
- Gold certification from the Carpet and Rug Institute
- Developed with Mohawk Smart Strand technology
- Big front wheels for easy maneuverability
- Uses less than half the suction as other motors with the same power
- Super long power cord at 35 feet
- Patented carpet jam sensor to prevent burning up the belt
- Full bag light
- Works best for carpets under one-inch
Kenmore 10701 – Best Pet Hair Removing Vacuum
The 10701 model works well for pet owners because the turbine brush helps power out hair, litter, and dried mud from tall carpets.
There are no bags to worry about spilling as you remove them from the sweeper. Three accessory tools make it easy to get into small cracks and against the edges of the walls. The adjustable hand tool makes it easy to reach on top of curtain rods and cabinets to get dust above your head.
- Over 10 inches of cleaning path per swipe
- Floor brush designed to be gentle on hardwood floors
- Removes 99.7 percent of dust with a top-notch HEPA filter
- No bags
- Various accessories for getting into small and tight spaces
- Rotating bristles get between the cracks in wood and deep into the carpet fibers of shag and high pile rugs
- Some consumers report issues with losing suction
Buyer’s Guide – Best Sweepers for long or shag carpet
Choosing the best vacuum might come down to the difference between two products with similar features. How you figure out which option is best may be easiest when reading this section of our Buyer’s Guide. We give you answers to the most pressing questions about vacuums for shag carpet in this area.
Can you wash the HEPA filters in these vacuums
No. These filters work with precise manufacturing characteristics. Washing these filters will render them ineffective or cause them to clog.
Do the wheels glide easily across the carpet
Yes. The wheels on these products are useful for high pile carpets. The upright models are usually the easiest to maneuver across rugs and shag carpets.
Will the vacuum scratch my hardwood floors
Most of the sweepers on this list use a rubber coating or plastic wheel to prevent damage to hardwood floors. To reduce damage, the owner’s manual will provide in-depth instructions about transitioning between different carpet piles and flooring types.
Does the vacuum come with cleaning tools
Yes. All the products on our list come with two different heads or accessories for crevice cleaning and dusting.
Is the sweeper noisy
We know Miele vacuums as quiet operating models. In general, the more powerful the motor, the louder the sweeper. However, the noise level may be quieter because of the filtration system or the seals in the motor.
Does the vacuum have a light on it
Some of the models on our list have lights to help you see under the furniture and in corners. Not every item comes with lights. You can check our product reviews to find out more information about each item.
Video Tutorial: Hoover T-Series
Concluding thoughts on shag vacuums
Finding the right vacuum for thick carpets and rugs is not always an easy task. Many sweepers will bog down or lose suction as you maneuver through heavy piles. Deciding whether you want a canister or upright vacuum is another important consideration. You may find the lighter models on our list are most beneficial if you have problems lifting heavy items or carrying the sweeper between areas. We hope the products on the five best vacuums list give you plenty of variety to select a cleaning tool that fits your needs.
The contemporary market of vacuum cleaners offers a wide range of different devices for carpets. That is why you need to buy a vacuum machine, according to the carpet type. In the following review, I’d like to focus on the choice of vacuums for shag carpets. This rug has a very deep, textured pile with a kind of fluffy and shaggy appearance. Due to the deep pile, I would recommend buying a very powerful vacuum cleaner.
How to choose a vacuum cleaner for shag carpets:
- Power. First and foremost, this parameter shows the suction intensity of a vacuum cleaner. During the carpet cleaning, this factor is quite significant, because fine trash and dust often get stuck in the fibers of shag carpets. Modern models have power switching modes, which makes them more convenient for different purposes;
- Nozzles. Vacuums often use a special nozzle with brushes. The bristles of brushes are designed to penetrate as deeply into the pile as possible, collecting most of the dust. At the same time, they do not damage the structure of rugs;
- Dust collector. Often, this parameter does not strongly affect the quality of cleaning. However, it is crucial for the comfort of the device using. Some people prefer to clean a traditional bag, while others prefer using dust containers;
- The size. Of course, no one wants to clutter up a house or apartment with a huge vacuum cleaner. However, if you have shag carpets, sometimes medium-size or large devices are the only vacuums you need to look for. Small devices won’t cope with deep pile rugs;
As for me, any upright vacuum cleaners can cope with cleaning shag rugs perfectly.
Tips for choosing upright vacuums for shag carpets
Pick an upright vacuum cleaner with high suction power – ideal for collecting dust and pet hair. The most important feature is a high-speed roller brush. In combination with a high power vacuum, this combination can remove even the dry dirt. Besides, semi-professional upright devices require no special skills. Opt for the device that is easy to operate and maintain. Compact and lightweight (up to 9 kg) vacuums are also available in the market.
Personal top 5 vacuums for shag rugs:
- Hoover UH70120 can remove up to 99.7% of dirt stuck in the deep pile. It has 5 height adjustments and a very long cord;
- Shark Upright offers the feature of dynamic swivel steering and awesome LED lights;
- Miele Compact C1 has 6 different suction power modes. But with all this, it is very quiet and sealed;
- Soniclean has a very adjustable vent system with a hygienically sealed filter;
- Kenmore 10701 is a very effective device due to the cyclonic tech. The length of its cord is 16 feet;
So, my recommendations for the best vacuum devices for shag carpets are based on numerous tests and detailed research. I would like to hear your opinion about the most powerful devices in the comments. Thanks for reading my reviews on SpotCarpetCleaners.Com!